We are very happy that Stamford will be able to provide meals for our students immediately.
Please note the following:
- Chartwells Staff will be working during the school closure.
- Meals will be served from 10a.m. to 12p.m. at all of our school sites except APPLES. We also have some community based organization locations which we will continue to add to. See this link for more information.
- Meals will be grab and go and we will eventually move to packaging multiple meals that students can pick up in one day. For example, we would have grab and go packages that would include 2 lunches and 3 breakfasts so that students don’t have to come every day.
- The meals should be non-congregate. This means they need to pick up the meal and take it off-site to consume.
- The meals are free. We do not need to obtain any personal information or lunch numbers from the students. Each grab and go packed meal must be counted.
- I have asked that our parent facilitators and paraeducators working in the buildings assist with letting families know that meals are available as well as helping with distribution and maintaining the daily counts each day. If there is no coverage we ask that you work with available staff in your buildings to help with distribution of meals if needed.
- Security staff are being assigned so that you will have at least one security worker in your buildings from 7 or 8am to around 12:30p.m. to cover the opening of the buildings and when students coming in to obtain meals.
- Please do not turn any student away. This program is run similar to our summer meal program ANYONE who is 18 or under may come to our sites and obtain a meal. They do not have to be SPS students and they do not have to attend the school to participate.
- If you would like to help out at a site (Central Office staff) or if questions come up regarding the program, please contact myself, Dawn McGinn, or Audrey Way.
- Some schools have asked if they can set up meals for pick up via drive through that will be up to you as the building leaders if you want to have this option at your school. Please consider if you will need any signage at your building as well.
- We are exploring the use of school buses to help with meal delivery in the event that there is a directive to close all public buildings. More information to come.