What Parents Can Do to Support Reading at Home…
- Sign my child up for a library card and visit the public library regularly
- Encourage my child to read “just right” books nightly.
- Read aloud to my child daily.
- Talk to my child about what we have read together or what he/she has read alone.
- Know what [first, second, third] grade reading sounds like.
- Know how my child is doing compared to grade level expectations.
- Practice grade level high frequency words at home.
- Give my child opportunities to write for real purposes; e.g. grocery list, thank you card, a letter, a note to a friend…
- Contact my child’s teacher to ask questions, make comments when I notice the progress my child is making, or when I’m concerned.
At Hart Magnet School we are committed to providing students and parents with resources that will help them to prepare for the Common Core State Testing. We offer English Language Arts and Mathematics workshops to parents in order to keep them up to date and informed.
Below are some helpful links for understanding more about the Common Core:
- Stamford Public Schools Common Core Information
- Common Core Facts
- District Wide Power Point Presentation
- Common Core Standards in Connecticut
For the following websites, it is recommended that you use Firefox, Chrome or Safari. The Smarter Balanced practice test and sample questions are not compatible with Internet Explorer.