Stamford Public Schools (SPS) announced that three Stamford High School (SHS), three Westhill High School (WHS) and nine Rogers International School students recently qualified for the Connecticut Music Educators Association (CMEA) Western Region High School or Middle School Festival. Two students, SHS Junior Katy Aillery and WHS Sophomore Ava Spinelli Mastrone, subsequently qualified for the CMEA All-State competition, which will be held in April.
Thousands of students across the state auditioned before a panel of professionals to be considered for the regional competition. Each student was required to perform a very advanced selection in his or her specialty area: Orchestra, Concert Band, Jazz Band or Chorus. Those students who scored above a designated threshold were invited to perform at the festival, which comprises the top high school or middle school instrumental or choral students in the western part of the state.
Qualifying high school choral students, under the direction of Choir Directors Gloria Sinaguglia, SHS and Jonathan Curri, WHS:
- Katy Aillery, SHS Junior, Soprano
- Jayce Schwartz, SHS Junior, Bass
- Mary Chobanyan, WHS Freshman, Soprano
- Ava Spinelli Mastrone, WHS Sophomore, Soprano
Qualifying high school instrumental students, under the direction of Band Directors George Beratis, SHS and Michael Wyatt, WHS:
- Joan Perez, SHS Junior, Alto Saxophone
- Noah Schaffer, WHS Senior, Snare Drum and Accessories
Qualifying middle school choral students, under the direction of Josh Sette, Rogers International School:
• Kennedy Anderson, 6th grade, Alto
• Lauren Dowling, 6th grade, Alto
• Peyton Sigtryggsson, 6th grade, Soprano
• Camille Barry, 7th grade, Alto
• Julieta Kuri, 7th grade, Alto
• Lyra Sharma, 7th grade, Alto
• John Ryan Dowling, 8th grade, Tenor
• Briana Ortiz, 8th grade, Alto
• Emmy Sigtryggsson, 8th grade, Alto
The high school students were recognized at the February Board of Education meeting. The middle school students will be invited to be recognized at the upcoming March Board of Education meeting.
For more information about the festivals, go to the CMEA website under Auditions and Festivals.