Dear Stamford Public Schools Families,
As you may know, there are now two confirmed cases of the COVID-19 Coronavirus in Connecticut. There are no confirmed cases in Stamford at this time. We will continue to work with the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Connecticut State Department of Public Health and the Connecticut State Department of Education (CSDE), and the City of Stamford and Stamford Health Department regarding the health and safety of our students and staff. Please see some updates listed below.
Changes in Daily Operations
We have put in place, effective immediately, the following steps to limit exposure for our students and staff:
- Out-of-district and out-of-state field trips will be put on hold. International field trips are cancelled at this time.
- School-based after school programs that extend the regular school day and provide services to SPS students will remain in session.
- Large group events scheduled to be held in our schools will be postponed until further notice.
- Elementary Early Release Parent Conferences will still be held this week. Parents will be encouraged to use hand sanitizer stations as they enter the building.
- Based on a statement from the Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference (CIAC), the decision was made to cancel the remainder of its winter championship tournaments.
- Aggressive cleaning and disinfecting protocols will continue in schools and buses.
- Frequent hand-washing reminders will be provided for students and staff during the day.
We recognize that our students and staff have prepared for field trips and events, however, we have an obligation to implement preventative health measures to lessen the chances of transmission of the COVID-19 virus.
Preparations for School Closure
Stamford Public Schools are preparing in the event that something occurs in our community, which would require us to close schools for an extended period of time.
In the event that schools should close, we are preparing for distance learning opportunities for our students. A survey was sent home to students in grades 6-12 to assess access to technology. The survey is available in English and Spanish, please complete the survey and submit it as soon as possible. In addition to the survey, we are working with teachers at all grade levels to develop a plan to provide educational resources in the event that there is a school closure.
We are also planning with our Food Services Department with recommendations from the CDC, United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), and the CSDE to determine meal distribution for students in the event of a school closure.
In an effort to ensure you are kept apprised of this ever-changing situation, please be sure your child’s school has your most current contact information, including phone numbers and email addresses. If you have any questions or concerns, contact your child’s school, the District Office, or the Stamford Health Department. We also encourage you to keep up-to-date on the facts about COVID-19 coronavirus, its treatment and prevention by visiting the following websites:
- Stamford Public Schools https://www.stamfordpublicschools.org/
- City of Stamford Department of Health: https://www.stamfordct.gov/health-department
- Connecticut State Department of Health Website: https://portal.ct.gov/DPH/Public-Health-Preparedness/Main-Page/2019-Novel-Coronavirus
- Center for Disease Control (CDC) and Prevention Website: https://www.cdc.gov/nCoV
- Travelers from Countries with Widespread Sustained (Ongoing) Transmission Arriving in the United States: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/after-travel-precautions.html
- World Health Organization: https://www.who.int/health-topics/coronavirus
We will continue to share information and updates as we receive them.
Dr. Tamu Lucero
Superintendent of Schools