Stamford Board of Education - Policy 1312.1
Title IX Grievance Procedure
Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 provides that each recipient of federal funds shall adopt and publish grievance procedures as to be followed in adjudicating any claim of discrimination on the basis of sex in any aspect of the education program, employment or treatment.
The Stamford Board of Education hereby adopts the following procedures. Title IX also provides that any person complaining of a violation of the provisions of Title IX may file a grievance directly with the Office of Civil Rights of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare.
- Any student or academic employee claiming to have been discriminated against on the basis of sex by the policies or practices of the Stamford Board of Education or any of its employees or agents shall present a written statement of the facts constituting the discrimination and the relief sought to the vice-principal or principal of his or her school. [A form to record this complaint can be found here.]
- Any non-academic employee shall present such complaints to his or her immediate supervisor.
- Within two working days of receiving any complaint, the vice-principal, principal or immediate supervisor (in the case of a non-academic employee) shall inform the Title IX Officer as appointed by the Superintendent of the complainant.
- The Title IX Officer shall investigate the complaint. If he or she finds a violation of Title IX, he or she shall direct the vice-principal, principal or supervisor to remedy the situation by whatever means necessary. Where the remedy requires action not within the authority of such administrators, the Title IX Officer shall recommend appropriate action to the proper department or authority.
- Any complainant whose complaint has not been resolved to his or her satisfaction within ten working days of its presentation at Step I may present the complaint to the Superintendent or hither designee.
- The Superintendent or his/her designee shall give notice to the complainant of the date, place and time at which the complainant shall present his or her complaint to the committee. After hearing the complaint, the committee shall consider any relevant information from the investigation of the Title IX Officer and shall decide the complaint. The Committee shall report its conclusions to the Board of Education and recommend any appropriate action.
- The Board of Education shall consider the conclusions and recommendations of the Superintendent or his/her designee and shall direct any appropriate remedy if it finds a violation has occurred. The Board of Education shall inform the complainant of its resolution of the complaint.
Policy Adopted: December 14, 1976
Amended: December 12, 1978; November 28, 2000
Policy Readopted: April 24, 2015
Stamford Public Schools