Weekly Message from the Superintendent
Dear Staff and Families,
The first few weeks of the school year are a busy time for students and families, so please take time now to mark your calendars with these important dates:
● August 29 – Orientation for students entering grades K, 6, and 9
● August 30 – First Day of School
● September 4 – No School - Labor Day
● September 19 – Middle School - Open House
● September 21 – High School - Open House
● September 25 – No School - Yom Kippur
● September 27 – Early Release
● September 28 – Elementary School - Open House
Your school principal will communicate more information about orientation and open school night.
Kindergarten Age Requirement
As I mentioned last week, the SPS Teaching and Learning Department is hosting two information sessions via zoom for families that want to learn more about the new kindergarten age requirements and the process for requesting early entry. The meeting dates and registration zoom links are as follows:
● Monday, August 21 at 7 p.m. via zoom
● Monday, September 11 at 7 p.m. via zoom
Both sessions will be offered in English with simultaneous Spanish Interpretation. Families that need interpretation in a language other than English or Spanish may request those services when they register for the meeting.
Our facilities and maintenance teams have been hard at work this summer getting buildings ready for the upcoming school year. Here is a look at some of the work that was initiated or completed this summer:
● All school buildings underwent a comprehensive deep cleaning, and classroom floors and hallways were stripped and re-waxed.
● Installation of additional window air conditioning units in buildings without central air conditioning. Work will be completed at Cloonan, Dolan, KT Murphy, and Newfield in early fall 2023, followed by Northeast, Rippowam, Roxbury, Springdale, Stamford High and Turn of River. All work is slated to be complete by Fall 2024.
● Elementary school playgrounds were repaired and upgraded, as needed.
● All open play and athletic fields were aerated and fertilized as part of our district-wide lawn maintenance program.
● In support of school safety and security, every elementary and middle school received four additional security cameras (2 interior / 2 exterior). Installation will be completed before school opens on August 30. High school security systems were upgraded during a previous budget cycle.
Thank you to our facilities and maintenance teams - including custodians, tradespeople, support staff, directors, and managers - for their dedication and hard work this summer and throughout the school year. Your commitment to the Stamford Public Schools is truly appreciated.
Remote Learning Program for High School Students
I am excited to share that Stamford Public Schools has launched a full-time Remote Learning Program (RLP) for students in grades 9-12. This new program - which begins with the 2023-24 school year - will enable selected high school students to complete their academic coursework in a 100 percent digital environment, while remaining enrolled in their district high school for extracurricular activities and school services. More information about the program is available here.
Stay safe and healthy!
Dr. Tamu Lucero