Attention students and employers:
We are excited to announce that the Stamford Public schools will be implementing a Senior Internship Experience program for the Spring of 2017. Starting in December 2016, please visit www.stamford-sie.org to learn more about the SPS Senior Internship Experience and to register as a student or internship site for the program in Spring 2017.
The Senior Internship Program will take place from May 15, 2017 to approximately June 9, 2017 (ending date subject to change based in graduation date). The internships will provide various experiential learning opportunities at different locations across the city. This program will give students the opportunity to pursue their unique interests, passions and talents with hands on job experience.
In order to participate, seniors must meet the following prerequisites:
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0
- Provide teacher recommendation
- Successfully meet grade, behavior and attendance requirements for both semesters 1 and 2
- Have coverage of health and auto insurance (auto insurance if driving to, during and from the internship site)
- Be passing and not in danger of failing any senior year course (this includes PE)
- Meeting all graduation requirements
- Have settled all accountabilities prior to the start of the internship
- Endorsement from parent
- Review and approval from the Guidance Counselor, Principal and Internship Program Coordinator
Students who are approved to participate in the Senior Internship Program will finish their regular classes, after AP testing and will have their grades finalized and classwork requirements ended as they go to their internship sites full-time (30 hours per week). The internships will take the place of attending school for the last four weeks of classes. All internships are UNPAID. Students will be assigned to a position and will have a mentor on the job and a school faculty mentor who will monitor their progress throughout the internship.
We look forward to a successful program for our seniors. Further details will be communicated to the senior class in December 2016. If you have specific program questions please contact Michelle Lappas, from the Mayor’s Youth Services at 203-977-0830.
Best of luck!
Dr. Michael Fernandes
Assistant Superintendent - Secondary Schools