School Closing, Delayed Opening, Early Release, or Regular Schedule Decisions
It is the responsibility of the Superintendent of Schools to determine whether there is a delayed opening, an early dismissal, a school closure, or a regular school day schedule during inclement weather. Any decision made by the Superintendent is a complex one that involves the consideration of many factors. And, any decision will have a significant impact on staff, students, and families alike. Students are best served by being in school, however student safety is our top priority.
How is the decision made?
Before any decision is made, the Superintendent consults with the City of Stamford Operations Department, Board of Education Transportation, Board of Education Facilities, Emergency Management Office, local weather services, and surrounding school districts. Current and future weather and road conditions in all parts of the Stamford are taken into consideration. Given the size of our city, the road conditions in one area may be very different than in other areas.
How and when are families notified?
The Superintendent makes a decision as early in the morning as possible, after considering all factors. Notifications are only sent out if there is a change in the normal operation of school. If there is no change in schedule, there will be no notification.
Since no one notification system is full-proof, the district recommends that families consider several sources of communication. Typically the earliest notifications are posted on the District Website, the Superintendent's twitter account @SPSSuper, and local media. Following are a list of communication methods used:
- For the earliest notification, parents and staff should subscribe to District Alerts on the district homepage.
- Follow the Superintendent on Twitter
- Local media outlets
- Register for notifications from the following media outlets.
- Tune into:
- AM Radio: WICC 600 or WGCH 1490
- FM Radio: WRKI 95.1, WEFX 95.9, WKHL 96.7, WEZN 99.9, WDBY 105.5, WEBE 107.9
- Cablevision News 12 or http://connecticut.news12.com/
- WTNHTV Channel 8 or http://wtnh.com/closings/
- WFSBTV Channel 3 or http://www.wfsb.com/category/211195/schoolclosings
- WCVITTV Channel 30 or http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/weather/school-closings/
- Click on IAN cancellations. Then click on schools.
- Automated call from the district
- Between 5:45 a.m. and 7:00 a.m., you will receive an automated call to your school-designated home number, to inform you of a change in schedule.
- If an emergency or change in schedule occurs during the school day, the automated calling system will call ALL emergency numbers you provided to your school. Be sure your emergency numbers are up to date at all times. Report any changes in writing to your student's school.
School Closing Notification Options Flyer (for printing) in English and Spanish