Each year more than a thousand Stamford children become eligible to attend Stamford Public Schools (SPS), yet not all are properly registered prior to the beginning of the school year, which can cause frustration for parents and educators alike. Recognizing the importance of creating a positive first-school experience for our families, as well as to help ensure students are in class on the first day of school, SPS has launched an on-line registration system.
“SPS is always seeking to improve the efficiency and accuracy of school procedures,” said Executive Director Research Dr. Judith Singer. “In response to input we received, we have streamlined the registration process by enabling parents to complete registration entirely online, with support from schools and the Office of Family and Community Engagement, as needed. Thanks to SPS staff, our partners at the United Way and many area preschools, the increase in registrations from last year to this year has been almost ten-fold – from 58 in May 2016 to 531 as of May 15, 2017.”
Any parent or guardian, whose child legally resides in Stamford and who will be five years old before January 2, 2018, is asked to register that child for Kindergarten now. The steps for Kindergarten registration are simple—though all children must have proper immunization and proof of residency to be admitted to school. The parent or guardian must:
- Go to the district website to School Look Up to determine the child’s school.
- Go to the registration page to complete the online registration form and upload the following required documents (detailed descriptions and links are available on the website):
- Original birth certificate (long form)
- Photo ID of parent or legal guardian
- Two form of proof of address
- Current physical exam and immunization record
- New Entrant Dental Form
- If necessary, Authorization for Administration of Medication
Families who need assistance with the online process should make an appointment with their child’s school or with the Office of Family and Community Engagement by selecting the appointment manager on the Documents page located in the online registration form.
To expedite the process and eliminate confusion, parents and guardians should visit the district website for detailed information.