The Academic Baseline for Success in College, Careers and Life
The Common Core State Standards ensure that all students have greater opportunities and access to the careers of their choice. We need a K-12 education system that imparts the knowledge and skills most valued by employers and higher education.
The Common Core State Standards focus on fewer concepts in mathematics and English language arts/literacy so that students can learn at greater depth and mastery. The standards depart from the practice of going "a mile wide and an inch deep.
The Common Core State Standards build on the curricular improvements already achieved in Stamford Public Schools over the last several years. Our district is well-positioned for this next level of work.
- PowerPoint Presentation from Community Forum - October 22, 2012
- PowerPoint Presentations from Community Forum - October 21, 2013
General Resources About The Common Core
- Stamford Public Schools Common Core State Standards Summary Card - English / Espanol
- Common Core Standards Facts
- Common Core Standards Site
- Common Core State Standards in Connecticut
- Common Core Videos (GE Foundation)
- Connecticut Core Standards
- Edutopia Resources for Understanding the Common Core State Standards
- The Hunt Institute (YouTube)
- Achieving the Common Core (Achieve has developed a set of materials to help states and others interested in better understanding the CCSS)
- NYC Common Core Library
- Doug Reeves CCSS Video Clips
- ASCD Info brief on CCSS from Dec 2010
- Q and A about the CCSS from the DOE
- PARCC Common Core Implementation Workbook
- Common Core "Symbaloo"
- America's Choice CCCSS ELA/Math video clips
- 12 Common Core Considerations (livebinder)
- CT State Department of Education - "Instructional Shifts": Expectations for Students & Ideas for Parents
- NYC Common Core family Resources
- NYC "Why Common Core?"
- National PTA Common Core Guides for Parents
English Language Arts
- CT State Department of Education - Instructional Shifts for English Language Arts/Literacy
- English Language Arts Standards
- Grade level Writing Samples (Appendix C of ELA standards)
- ELA Common Core Resources
- K-12 Common Core ELA Checklists from Cheryl's Classroom Website
- CT State Department of Education - Instructional Shifts for Mathematics
- Math Standards
- Inside Mathematics 8 CCSS Math Standards
- K-6 Common Core Math Checklists from Cheryl's Classroom
- CCSS in Math Live Binder